Thursday, October 29, 2009

Football = brain damage.... duh

While I never have been a fan of football, hockey and baseball are my games, I find it amazing that people are shocked over recent news that playing football can cause brain damage.
Granted I have worked in the mental health field, specifically with patients suffering from brain injuries, so I guess it could be argued that I have a little more training and knowledge than the average person, but I say bullshit.When I was a kid and I did something stupid, like the time I ran into a glass sliding door and got a very nice goose egg for my trouble, my mom told me to be careful or I'll end up with brain damage. Then there were those times I was convinced that I was Evil Kenevil, ended up kissing concrete and having to explain to my mom that the gravel embedded in my forehead was no big deal. What did she say? You need to be careful or you'll get a concussion/brain damage.
So why is it a surprise that running full speed into several 300 lb men, being flipped into the air and landing on your head can cause brain damage? Maybe my mom was just a genius, or had some kind of inside knowledge that the NFL is not privy to, such as common sense.
To be honest I have always found it sad that we promote playing sports over getting an education and now I can understand why. You will likely end up with brain damage if you play football, no sense wasting time filling your head with a bunch of learnin' that you will end up forgetting due to numerous instances of head trauma by the time your are 40 anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment